Skip to main content

KNOWLEDGE SHARING: THE FIRST PART OF THE HIPPOCRATIC OATH


WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ONE OTHER.

“I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow”.
A modern version of the Hippocratic oath has these words as its first portion. We all know this oath…or at least, have heard of it - the oath to which most medical doctors are sworn to at their induction ceremony!

While this may sound inconsequential/ rewardless/ not just a part of your personality description, it is indeed very important that we embrace the attitude of sharing knowledge with fellow medics. As a medic in any respect, it is your responsibility to share the amount of information at your disposal with other medics..

This is not to undermine the busyness of our schedules or to make us feel selfish if we are people who would naturally keep to ourselves but if we could consider this simple scenario, it just might help us see the need to teach our fellows, whether we be medical students, house officers, residents, nurses or ‘whoever knows not what you know and who needs to know’. A fellow medic comes to meet you and asks you to teach him/her Krebs’ cycle or maybe, the pattern of lymphatic drainage in the human body. You ignore that fellow’s request, not because you are a bad person but because you don’t have a choice: ‘you need to read for exams’; leaving that person to fend for himself/herself and with a less than adequate knowledge of the subject matter in question. Let us assume that in his/her practice of medicine, that fellow needs to apply the quested knowledge to help save a life but can’t do so properly, you have indirectly enhanced the loss of a life or a body function.

Yeah…this sounds all ethical, that I am well aware of. The truth, however is that as present/future medics, our responsibility to our patients is intertwined with our responsibility to fellow medics. Like one big family in the commission of healing, we, through the sharing of knowledge, can reach a wider audience.

BE TRUE TO THE PRACTICE…MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY SHARING KNOWLEDGE.

Comments

  1. Excellent presentation of a suggested viewpoint. Share the message...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DOKITA

 EPISODE 3 ‘Oya sorry now, we’re almost there.’ Felix kept saying as he partially carried his dear friend.  She wouldn’t hear the last of this episode once it was over, that much he knew! ‘Awww…you don’t know how painful awww… this is’ ‘Sorry, sorry’ ; he kept saying So they eventually got to the ER and after pulling out her card, used ‘medical student connection’ to see the resident that was on call in Internal Medicine unit. ‘Hello dear’ , Dr. Brown said, looking keenly at the girl that was almost doubled over in pain ‘I think you should lie down on that couch’ ‘What exactly is the problem?’ ‘She just started complaining about her abdomen about half an hour ago’ ‘Oh’. ‘Can you point to where exactly the pain started?’ he asked ‘Here’ . Linda pointed to the area around her umbilicus. ‘Have you had any episode of vomiting?’ ‘No sir’ Felix answered spontaneously. ‘You must be her boyfriend, right?’ Dr.Brown asked, with a mischievious grin ...

DOKITA

EPISODE 5 ‘So, really, whose patient is she?’ Doctor Afuarida asked with impatience written all over his face Bola indicated, her body language reeking of timidity, ‘Sir, she was supposed to be my patient, but I haven’t been able to clerk her’ ‘Oh, really? She was supposed to be?’ ‘Do you even have any other patient on the ward?’ ‘Ehm…no sir. But my other patient has just been discharged’ ‘Please, leave my ward round. You are obviously unprepared to truly learn the art of medicine.’ She knew better than to plead and therefore, walked out with the little dignity she still had left. He continued lecturing the rest of the students ‘You know, whatever you do now will speak later in life and especially in your medical career. If you want to be a good doctor, it definitely begins from now- taking responsibility’ Dr.Amao, please give me a summary on this patient ’22 year old female, had appendectomy done. 1 st day post-op. Mild pain at op-site. Currently on IV Met...

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic...