Skip to main content

DOKITA



EPISODE 4
As he tossed and turned that night, unable to get a wink of sleep; Fola asked himself tons of questions.
Like how he had gotten himself into all of this.
And what exactly, the essence of love as he knew it was.
He had really thought Bunmi was ‘THE ONE’. She had basically appealed to him on so many fronts.
And there was something else, wasn’t there?
The rarity of their almost seamless connection.
How they had always known what the other was thinking before anyone phonated.
Everyone had seen them as the perfect ‘power’ couple in school.
He rolled over again, the creaking noises the bed made almost in tune with his protesting heart.
He replayed in his mind once again, her last words from less than 6 hours ago.
‘Fola’ she had said, while looking everywhere but into his eyes
‘I wish…I wish we didn’t have to end this way. I even tried stalling it several times while we were still together, but eventually, I just had to let go.’ She sighed.
‘God knows how hard it is for me to see you hurt this way’
In that instant, all he had wanted to do was cradle her in his arms. Tell her that whatever it was, they would figure it out.
Reminded her that they had always been teammates and their dream wedding they had planned could indeed, still hold.
Instead, the words that came out of his mouth in rapid succession were
‘Bums, are you really sure this is what you want?’
And then, she finally gazed at him. Those gems of eyes he could kill for, gazing into the dark crevices of his heart and warming them with their own willful strain of blood. This woman standing here, was meant for him, his breaking heart whispered loudly enough for the wind to carry as nervous impulses to his brain.
He was supposed to be her knight in shining armor.
‘Fola, please’
‘Is this what you want Bums? What you really want? If you answer in the affirmative, I promise to keep my distance’ he swallowed, as he stared into those eyes again.
 ‘To let you go’
Finally, with visibly glistening eyes, she said:
‘Yes, this is what I want. YES’
His world was falling apart, the walls crumbling right before his eyes.
He would have to tell his mum that there were no fairy grandkids in sight.
That was all he remembered as sleep mercifully took him
*************************************************************
‘Felix, Felix! Wake up, go to your hostel and freshen up. Lets’ go to class’
‘I must still be dreaming’ Felix thought.
‘Oh, who is disturbing my dream at this time? And we just wrote end of posting exam in my dream’ he painfully sighed
Slowly opening his eyes, he made out the image of Tolu, standing with her arms akimbo and moving her head from left to right repeatedly.
‘What was this girl’s problem sef?’ he thought
‘I go love o! So you slept here all night?’
‘I had to stay with Linda now. What if she needed some form of emergency help during the course of the night?’
‘I’m sorry sir, I forgot you were the doctor on call’
With a smirk on his face, Felix retorted
‘And I forgot you were the house officer doing her early morning rounds’
Linda opened her eyes
 ‘Guys…’
She brought her right hand to her freshly stitched and bandaged abdomen. She winced a little.
‘Linda, how are you?’ Tolu said.
‘I brought you dodo with fried eggs, and tea’
She smiled
 ‘That’s so sweet. Thanks dear’
‘Felix, did you sleep here? You look a tad …I don’t know, disheveled’
‘Oh it’s me you’re speaking English to abi?’
He mimicked her facial expression ‘You look a tad…I don’t know, disheveled’
They all laughed.
‘Ah, e gbami o! Yee…mo ti daran o! (I’m in trouble o!)
‘Iya Kike…Iya kike o!’
The woman at the bedside of the patient next to Linda was screaming, at the top of her lungs, and there was some attendant commotion.
The nurse on duty got there and started chest compressions.
Doctor Amao, who had just been paged, rushed in and took over, till the woman became stable and was placed on Intravenous Adrenaline
It was time for ward rounds
‘So, whose patient is this?’ Dr Afuarida asked. They were at Linda’s bedside.
The students shifted uncomfortably and looked at the ground.
‘So you mean to tell me that no one actually clerked this patient?’
Linda braced herself for some more drama because, my dear, this ward round was going to be toxic!

Want to read previous episodes? Read in the blog archive.
The series continues with the 5th episode next Wednesday. 
If you enjoyed reading, please repost on social media pages using the following format:
‘I am …………… and I read Dokita by Peju Abioye.
-----------------------------------------------(For your personal comment about the episode)
Read at medicology101.blogspot.com’
Thank you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp