Skip to main content

CHRONICLES OF A NIGERIAN PHYSIOTHERAPIST: by Bola Abioye


EPISODE THREE
Sometimes, we think we know how we’ll act in certain situations but everyone above the age of fifteen would certainly agree with me that some situations bring out who we truly are. Well, that’s not supposed to be; our characters are meant to dictate what a situation would and not the other way round. Does anyone understand me?

Okay, if you don’t; scrap that!

That’s a motivational speech for another day.

The sight of Ituah made me quick to turn from the treadmill (on which Teju was doing her low-intensity resistance exercise; under my supervision of course) to the back of the cybex machine and luckily for me; there was a door with the tag ‘gents’ just in front of me and I shouted ‘goal ball jor!’ (Well, in my mind). God had certainly made an escape route for me even before the problem arrived.

Now, don’t get me wrong…
I’m dating just one girl and I’m not the type that does the whole infidelity stuff; it’s damn too stressful and time consuming too. If there were more than twenty-four hours in one day, I may consider it though (winks).

It’s just that when you are dating such an unpredictable babe like Ituah; some kind of ‘abnormal reflexes’ become part of your lifestyle.

‘Charles!’

The echo of my name helped remember that the blood running through my veins is still red and not blue (my way of saying I jolted back to reality). For me, it was more than reality because two voices called my name at the same time. I don’t know if you believe in the whole jinx thing but I turned back only to realize that after successfully escaping, my I.D card that dropped had given me away and Teju was now really tired and wanted me to further reduce the rate at which she was going. Well, that warranted a jinx.

‘Charles’ Ituah said in a persuasive tone and I could only wait for her next certainly unpredictable line of action.

I looked back at Teju and she had found a way to turn off and get off the treadmill.

‘Charles, my dad’,
‘Your dad’ I repeated after her.

In the next thirty minutes, we were at Ituah’s place; a place I don’t particularly like visiting but let’s say this was one necessary evil.

Teju? Her driver came for her.

I drew back as we came to the front of the door of their room and palour apartment. I had to think well about if I wanted to face the impending “doom”.

‘He needs your help this time’ she reminded me.

I paused for a minute to think. I was there to help him regain function. Again, I came to the conclusion that it would take a little while for a stroke patient with slurred speech to articulate words to throw me out of his house.

I couldn’t believe I was going to
break the unwritten rule of not treating family/friends by yourself (an alternative of which is referring them to a competent colleague) for an alcoholic; who had previously suffered from Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)—a minor stroke that lasts for about 24hours; but ignored all warning signs, continued with his heavy alcohol consumption and refused to continue his aspirin dose all together.

Somehow, his beautiful daughter just knows how to find her way into my heart. Prior to this, I had educated her (when she followed me to see one of my private patients) that recovery pattern in stroke patients is rapid in the first few months and therefore it’s very important to ensure that the stroke patient receives physiotherapy at that point.

They couldn’t afford the expenses of paying for the hospital bills, transporting him to the hospital and waiting all day to be attended to in a general hospital. Altogether, the best bet was for me to step in.

Just as Ituah’s father is stubborn in things of his health and assumes he knows everything; he is equally stubborn in his believes that Warri people are evil and his daughters should stay away from them. Therefore, it was only normal for him not to support my relationship with his daughter. His constant advice to his daughters is ‘follow Yoruba guys’.

Ha!!! Awon Yoruba demons!

Really! Who does that in this day and age?

My girlfriend’s father!

But I have one unanswered question. How did she know I was in that gym?

Edo girls! Chei!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp