Skip to main content

WANNABE INTERN: Week 3



Message to the Pre-Intern: If you allow it, this Period can be the best period of your life!
Why didn’t anyone tell us that this period could be the best period of our lives? Why didn’t anyone tell me that I could absolutely enjoy this time, walking through each day like they are all presents given to me by God, deeply appreciating him for the grace of freedom at this period in my life?
I have learned not only how to earn money, but also how to be financially accountable
I have learned to treat my gift as a business
I have learned to value and cherish my family members, something I wasn’t able to truly learn while I was in school
I have learned not to overlook the ‘little’, the ‘insignificant’.
I have learned to wake up each morning anticipating the goodies of the day, to go to bed feeling fulfilled that once again, I have put my talents to good use
I have learned that there is life outside school, outside medicine, outside what I have ever known.
 I have learned that each moment holds its own beauty, one which I cannot afford to overlook. I am happy. Too happy to even remember that I haven’t started housejob when others have. Truly, I know that I’ll miss this period of my life. I can feel it- because I haven’t experienced anything this intense in like, forever. This is life-changing for me, I cannot deny that!
In this journey of life, perspective is one of the most important things. The only reason I do not regret being at home right now is that I know how much I have chosen to glean from this period. It’s absolutely exciting for me that I can spend each day getting better, richer (yeah), learning more and more from life what medicine will never teach me. To get to this point, you would have to get past the feeling of being cheated and come to a point where you are TRULY happy to be where you are- and to be learning what you’re learning at that point in life. I have gleaned lessons for my future during this time. What are you doing with the time on your hands?
Workbook
State what your perspective is, in terms of your house job search
List out between 5-10 things that you’re happy about!
Say out loud: This period is the best period of my life, up till now; and I will enjoy it! say it for as many times as you want to

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp