Skip to main content

'Labisi: Chronicles of A Breast Cancer Warrior


CHAPTER 2

Journal entry by Karen Delgado
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOME CREAKED. It was indeed, familiar- but make no mistake about its smell. It irked of disdained must.

As I open the doors of my one time home, an image of 13 year old me, springs to life before me, as  touch the chairs- the dining room, all evidence of what once was life.

I was 13, just about to take that sharp-crossing road into puberty; and at this  juncture, I had to watch my mum being frail- not aged enough to be frail; yet frail. Her frailty held within it, an accustomed strength which held nothing of pity. Just strength.

Now, we are at the hospital. With deepened furrows, I look on as together with my dad, we take determined yet almost forced steps in the direction of the doctor’s office. We had barely closed the door, when we started to receive an unwanted lecture on the undoings of ill-health, and the progressive trance into which Mother is slipping.

‘Yes, weight loss is not uncommon.’

My father, shuffles- but he still remains seated, now leaning at a slightly awkward angle; facing Dr. Salako. If I know him well enough, I know; if given the chance, he’d spring up and walk out- if only to empty his full ears of what the doctor seemed to feel comfortable insinuating.

He must have passed across this kind of news, often. Too often. I found myself mildly sorry at the fact that care had been sucked out of him over time.

Emaciated mother, was the new model of normalcy. Father, was besotted with grief.

Even I, only child as I was, could only try my best to hold in the grief which had risen and now seemed to occlude my chest.

In whorls and circles, in my mind, I went over those words that I had formed, over and over again.

Emaciated mother, was the new model of normalcy.

She died.

3 weeks after Dr. Salako had pronounced, peering past wire-framed glasses, that she couldn’t have cheomotherapy because there were no working machines in Lagos, Ilorin or Kano- well, there were only three which circulated round the country for the normal 180 million thin-lipped Nigerians.

The privileged elite were flown abroad, because they just couldn’t share with the non-elite; who were members of any group other than the upper social class.

Thank God they didn’t, who knew if they would have confiscated 2 of the 3 which had on-off moments; only coming on at the smell of some thick money?

She died, that morning.

But I am her offspring, and still live to tell her story.

I still live, to tell my story.

I am ‘Labisi; and I am a breast cancer warrior!  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The next chapter will be on this blog by 6:00pm on the 18th May, 2017. All feedback, is highly welcome! You can read more of Karen's journal entries about her battle with breast cancer at CaringBridge.org (Personal name: karendelgado1)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp