Skip to main content

MUSCULAR FREEDOM: ATROPHY AND OUR TROPHIES


“You cannot win a trophy if you’re atrophied!”
While ruminating on the human body as usual, I became fascinated by our muscles. Though the human muscular system is very strong and very well equipped for adequate living, without good management, exercise and a healthy diet, muscles atrophy.
Spiritual freedom can as well be easily lost without adequate management- when exercise and a healthy dose of God’s word are in absentia, rapid degeneration of spiritual life occurs- subtly maybe, but surely! This is called spiritual atrophy.
Digression: Lets’ talk a bit on atrophy…
Crash course on Atrophy
DEFINITION: Decrease in muscle mass- due to partial/complete muscle wasting
TYPES: Disuse atrophy, Neurogenic atrophy
CAUSES: Starvation, prolonged periods of hibernation e.t.c.
 MECHANISM OF ACTION: Downregulation of protein synthetic pathways, Activation of protein degradation pathways
ANALYSIS: Done by measuring amount of urea in urine
TREATMENT: Exercise, administration of anabolic steroids such as methandrostenelone  

Atrophy of spiritual freedom
A sequence by which spiritual freedom atrophies has been proven true, over and over again. Check this quote by Alexander Taylor: “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations…always progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence and from dependence back into bondage.”
Periods of abundance often births complacency and from there a downward spiral back into bondage.
Complacent freedom achieves nothing but atrophy; by which we often lose our trophies.
Good day people! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOKITA

 EPISODE 3 ‘Oya sorry now, we’re almost there.’ Felix kept saying as he partially carried his dear friend.  She wouldn’t hear the last of this episode once it was over, that much he knew! ‘Awww…you don’t know how painful awww… this is’ ‘Sorry, sorry’ ; he kept saying So they eventually got to the ER and after pulling out her card, used ‘medical student connection’ to see the resident that was on call in Internal Medicine unit. ‘Hello dear’ , Dr. Brown said, looking keenly at the girl that was almost doubled over in pain ‘I think you should lie down on that couch’ ‘What exactly is the problem?’ ‘She just started complaining about her abdomen about half an hour ago’ ‘Oh’. ‘Can you point to where exactly the pain started?’ he asked ‘Here’ . Linda pointed to the area around her umbilicus. ‘Have you had any episode of vomiting?’ ‘No sir’ Felix answered spontaneously. ‘You must be her boyfriend, right?’ Dr.Brown asked, with a mischievious grin ...

DOKITA

EPISODE 5 ‘So, really, whose patient is she?’ Doctor Afuarida asked with impatience written all over his face Bola indicated, her body language reeking of timidity, ‘Sir, she was supposed to be my patient, but I haven’t been able to clerk her’ ‘Oh, really? She was supposed to be?’ ‘Do you even have any other patient on the ward?’ ‘Ehm…no sir. But my other patient has just been discharged’ ‘Please, leave my ward round. You are obviously unprepared to truly learn the art of medicine.’ She knew better than to plead and therefore, walked out with the little dignity she still had left. He continued lecturing the rest of the students ‘You know, whatever you do now will speak later in life and especially in your medical career. If you want to be a good doctor, it definitely begins from now- taking responsibility’ Dr.Amao, please give me a summary on this patient ’22 year old female, had appendectomy done. 1 st day post-op. Mild pain at op-site. Currently on IV Met...

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic...