Skip to main content

‘LABISI: Chronicles of a Breast Cancer Warrior




Chapter 5


Journal entry by Karen Delgado — 6/11/2011

‘Just being who they are was enough to keep me going...but they went beyond that---from being "good" for the subs to all types of gifts and acts of kindness…

I hope that they learn at least one lesson from all this--that a kind word or being nice to someone may be just the gift that person needs.  When someone isn't as nice as you think they should be...think about how you can be kind--you never know what type of situation that the person may be going through!’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sleep and wake up, we do not know how.

Have you ever wondered, why sometimes we like to stay in the dark? As technology has advanced, so many of those things which were attributed to God’s secrecy were unraveled and with a simple click on your phone, you can find out various things which you didn’t even know in times past.

But sometimes, sheer laziness makes us ignore the fact that those things are now known, giving rise to the ‘God knows all’ syndrome.

I decided to start my own breast cancer journal 2 months ago. I mean, how else would I be able to remember all that has happened during this very defining period of my life?

Have I mentioned Mr. Okonkwo in recent times? He’s been so supportive. You know, after my diagnosis, I was told that I would have to get a mastectomy, and I was like ‘mastec-kini?’ Which one be that again? Them don start with all their big big grammar.

Well, I was filled in and that night, I cried my eyes out. Ah? They want to cut my breast ma ni? How would I face Mr. Okonkwo? How would I appreciate my body after all of that? Nah, I felt I couldn’t do it, it would be way too tragic- and think about the fact that I would have to see that scar for like, the rest of my life. At that moment, I felt like blocking out all of the knowledge I had about breast cancer, and just enjoy the solace of having both of my breasts. Please abeg, I no do!

Anyways, Mr. Okonkwo got wind of the fact that I was totally moody, and being his caring self, he kept prodding until I provided him with satisfactory answers.

You know, you never understand the value of your king until he does certain things for you.

Mr. Okonkwo went down on one knee, as if he wanted to propose to me and in my mind, I was like ‘what’s all this biko?’

And then he said ‘My wife, my queen; whatever happens, I’d still love you- breast-full or breastless’, I looked at him, shook my head and then we both burst into laughter. This man, was a clown. We ordered in some food, because I was in no right frame of mind to cook, and we ate. In fact, the next day, he took me out to a Chinese restaurant.

Well, I think that was enough stimulus to get the mastectomy. I had a good support system, and for that, I’m eternally grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp