Skip to main content

'LABISI: Chronicles of a Breast Cancer Warrior ♋

CHAPTER 6

Journal entry by Karen Delgado — 6/2/2010

‘Years ago, when I first started teaching middle school, people responded to my new job as if I had accepted the worst possible position.  The truth is, I love teaching this age group!  (I will admit, it wasn't my favorite age group to parent...but working with this age at school is great!)

Unfortunately, what so many people see is what is most noticeable--loud, seemingly rude, young adults who "haven't grown up, yet".  The truth is...they have not grown up!  Although they may look like adults...and will grow into lovely, responsible young adults someday...they still have at least one foot in childhood--no matter how tall they may appear!... Although they may not have learned to handle their new-found deep voices...and their awkwardness may come across as rude... they really can be as sweet as most younger children!!!'
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The eyes are massive windows into the soul. You want to describe someone’s look perfectly? You’d scarcely do justice to that without looking into their eyes. While I lean across the pyre, taking long soulful glances at people as they go about their daily business- the girl with the red and blue pail balanced so effortlessly on her head, strolling down the street and caring less about the leering looks that trail her.
The 3-year-olds, who in the background, continue to chant ‘2 letter words are…’, the welder producing a shrill sound from his work tools a mild distance away.
I’ve had so much time away from work these couple of months, and besides the chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and now, mastectomy which I’ve had to ruminate over endlessly, there is one other thing I’ve had so much time for. My kids.
Being a mother is the one thing I have always appreciated, seen as a gift; more so during these trying times. Talk about the sheer amount of love and concern my 17-year-old son, ChukwuEmeka, has consistently shown, or the warmth which my 12 and 8-year-old daughters; Kachi and Oge, seem to have up their sleeves each time they return from school. If not for anything else, the way they snuggle up to me whenever they have the chance to- this is something I’d live over and over again to witness. I won’t leave them motherless; not even if there’s a slight chance.
And in those moments when I want to faint, to give up, to turn back, or run away from it all- it's them that I see.
Not only do I notice their acts, but I notice their eyes. The girl with the pail balanced upon her head may look nothing like my daughters’ but she reminds me of the need for my kids to lead their lives with so much effortlessless at joyful living. I have so much which I still need to impart into them, and although they might get burnt while trying to act like the ‘adults’ which they are yet to become, I want to be here every step of the way. Warring with them, crying- if need be, with them. Laughing with them!
This is why I still choose to remain in this fight.
I am ‘Labisi, and I’m still fighting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp