Skip to main content

AN ERYTHROCYTE’S SPEECH

My name is erythrocyte N and I’m just a normal red blood cell, undergoing my everyday function of transporting oxygen to tissues.
My life span is about 120 days (actually, in the erythrocyte handbook 1day=1year for a man).
I’d like to share an interesting series of events in my life with you: Up till about 1 week ago actually, my life span was like 15days. I’d also been having some challenges with oxygen transport and because of this my efficacy had drastically reduced; I must confess. But anytime I fell short, I would humbly go to the spleen where senile me would be destroyed and a new me would be produced from the bone marrow. Pretty cool, right?
However, I noticed something. Oxidizing agents kept coming my way, and their major target was my ferrous iron…having figured correctly that when my ferrous iron was converted to a ferric state, I became useless.
You see, when my iron is in the ferric state, the hemoglobin in me is converted to methemoglobin. And that’s a pretty sad state for me because I get all cranky and could engage in pity parties.
Last week Thursday, however, I went to visit my friend and neighbor;  Erythrocyte M. M is an awesome fellow, and he’s been alive for a very long time, and before now, I was oblivious to the source of his relatively long life span! (am so not going back to that state #smiles#). I opened up to M, and he told me this: “there’s a shunt known as the Rapaport-Leubering Shunt. It has helped my iron stay in a reduced state all this while. Instead of dying when my iron is oxidized, it just gets NADH (a cofactor) that reduces it back”. I was wowed. “Are you serious?” I asked M. “More than you could ever realize at the moment dear”, said my dear neighbor.
The secret of life, was by my side all this while, and I’d been so oblivious. Just so you know, I’m more fit than I’ve been all my life right now. My life seems like its brand new everyday!
The secret to abundant life is not far away. It’s not in short-term effectiveness. You see, no temptation has come our way that is not common to man (or to other erythrocytes). However, God, in his eternal faithfulness, always provides a way out for us! In my case, this way out of my short-term efficacy was the Rapaport-Leubering shunt. And yes, there’s a shunt for you too.
I’d say you should always have this at the forefront of your mind, regardless of your situation. Looking back now, am thankful for the presence of erythrocyte M who showed me the  way. When you find the way, it’d be obvious to you that God can never forsake you.
And then, you would experience, just like I do, a brand new life EVERYDAY!
                                                                                                               With love,
                                                                                                       From a transformed erythrocyte.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp