Skip to main content

DOKITA

EPISODE 10
To Linda, this journey had literally taken forever. There were so many stops on the way, from policemen to touts, as well as stops at eateries and public toilets. 7 hours after setting out, Linda was happy that she had finally almost gotten to her destination; only for the driver to screech to a sudden halt. What on earth was the problem this time?
The driver came down and after about 5 minutes, the men in the bus came down to help examine the tires.
‘Oya make una come down o!’
‘God…!’ Linda muttered.
It was 7pm, and Port Harcourt was still hours away. She almost started crying again.
Felix’s 3rd call of the day came in.
‘Hello’
‘Hi…’ she said, sniffing
‘Linda how are you? Where have you gotten to?’
‘We’re somewhere along the road, I’m not too sure where. I am very tired.’
‘Linda, listen to me- you will be fine, ok? You have to be strong for your mum and brother. All things will work together for your good.’
‘Ok.’
‘Have you eaten anything yet?’
‘No, I didn’t eat anything because of my motion sickness.’
‘Try to eat something at least.’
‘I will try.’
Thankfully, the problem had been resolved and they entered the bus. The last 3 hours of the journey were smooth and they arrived at Port Harcourt by 10pm.
As Linda trudged towards her house, she felt a certain chill around her. She got to the door only to find it locked. Then she knocked on their neighbor, Mama Kenneth’s door.
‘Linda! How are you?’
‘Mama Kenneth, I dey o!’
‘Abeg, which hospital my Papa dey?’
 She sighed as she looked at Linda with pity. ‘Na that hospital for Kimo street o. me sef just comot like 7pm’
‘Ok. Thank you ma’, she said as she dropped her bag at the door to their flat.
‘She began to walk out, took a bike and got to the hospital.’
After inquiring from the nurses, she finally located her family.
Mama was dozing off in the chair located opposite her father while her brother was still pacing the floor. He caught a glimpse of her and ran towards the door to hug her.
‘Sister!’
‘Chuks, how is Papa doing?’
‘Sister, he hasn’t woken up yet o.’
‘The doctor told us to do one test like that for his brain.’
‘That must be a CT scan.’
‘Yes, that is what he called it.’
‘Linda! Kedu? Linda turned to face her tired mother.’
‘Mama…’ They locked gazes and Linda knew that this was serious
‘Mama, wetin happen?’
‘As me and your Papa dey come back from farm, na so he just begin dey complain of headache. As we reach house, I come go get water and paracetamol for am. Before I come back, your Papa don fall down, dey ground and him no gree wake up.’
She began to cry.
‘Mama, please don’t cry.’ She said as she moved nearer to comfort her.
Sudden movement on the bed brought a halt to the emotional scenery. Jerky movements from her father had emanated. He was having a seizure.
‘Ewoooo…’ her mother began to wail.
Chukwuma rushed out and began to shout ‘Nurse…nurse!’
Tears began to run down Linda’s face
God had seemingly become quiet.
*********************************************************************
Kenny looked at Bunmi with eyes full of contempt.
‘I don’t know what else you want me to do. I love you, I really do. But do you even care a little about me?’
Bunmi shook her head. This dude just didn’t get it.
‘Kenny, I need to get to Ophthalmology clinic. Please, stop causing a scene.’
And with that, she walked on, leaving Kenny’s mouth agape.
This was the girl who he was supposed to get married to in a month’s time. The mother of his child! And he just knew she didn’t love him.
The price he had to pay for betraying his friend was proving to be much more than he had bargained for.
He really should have been smarter.
‘This girl…this girl.’ He kept mumbling.
He had to finally become responsible and she was making it even harder than it already was.
It will all work out in time, he thought.
Bad enough, that he couldn’t get close to any of his former babes; Miss Bunmi ‘goody two shoes’ was adamantly refusing him sex. The last time they had spoken, she had spelt out plainly that what happened before was a mistake.
‘But we are getting married in 4 weeks! Stop acting like a kid, you’re already pregnant. I hope you don’t plan to try all this nonsense when we get married?’
She had sized him up, after which she had shown him the door. How had his friend coped with all this drama? He just didn’t have this time.
He got to the ER to find a commotive scene. People were rushing in victims of a Road Traffic Accident.
‘All these reckless drivers!’
As he moved on, he heard a familiar voice behind him. ‘Ah, all these trailers!’ No, he couldn’t have heard right.
As he turned back, he shook his head in disbelief. He was right.
The sight that greeted him was that of Fola’s mother.
She recognized him as well. She had frequently come to visit Fola when they were in school.
‘Omo mi!’
‘Mama, e pele o. Good afternoon!’
He immediately took over her care and motioned for the nurses to give him what he required.
This was too sad to be true.
Of all people, it just had to be Fola’s mum; yet again.
This issue was becoming too serious.
‘Omo a toju e, omo mi!’
‘Amin ma…’
He stabilized her, and went to attend to another patient.
Fola of course, had been notified and was now here.
‘Maami! Ki lo sele?’
She explained that a trailer had collided with her car while she was driving, and that Kenny had stabilized her.
Fola eyed Kenny, who was still within earshot.
‘Guy, thanks’ ‘No wahala’
His mother noticed the friction, but kept her findings to herself.
As if to make matters worse, Bunmi had to walk in, to see a doctor.
‘Iyawo mi!’ ‘I’ve been asking Fola about you. Why have you forsaken me?’
Fola recoiled.
This couldn’t end well.
‘Maami, no, it’s not like that’ Bunmi said as she looked furtively between Fola and Kenny. ‘What happened ma, why are you here?’ The narrative was played out once again.
‘Please ma, I will be back. I need to quickly see my oga.’
‘Ok my daughter. You will still come to see me abi?’
‘Yes mama.’
For the 2nd time in 24 hours, Bunmi walked out of a compromising situation, but she knew; as well as Fola and Kenny that they were just postponing the inevitable.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp