Skip to main content

THE GENERAL MALAISE OF CONSUMERISM


Image result for quotes on consumerism

I find it difficult to buy stuff while stuck in traffic. Judging by the number of people who eagerly buy 4-5 food items, ranging from a bottle of drink to ‘wara’ (cheese) or gala; I’d say I’m a part of the minority; owing as it may be however, to a myriad of factors [I think I have a small bladder, for instance- and this propels me to frequently void urine].
I understand that people might be hungry and thus need to eat while stuck in traffic; but what really baffles me is how people would pay 1,500 naira as transport fare and spend close to 1,000 naira on consumables.
When I see a scenario similar to that playing out, I subconsciously come to the conclusion that ‘this person is more likely to be poor than rich’. I might be wrong, but I don’t see a lot of rich individuals buying consumables with their ‘2 pence’. Instead, it’s the ‘talikas’ (poor people) who freely distribute the little they have in traffic. Little wonder, that the poor get poorer and the rich, richer with such a mentality? This is of course, my subjective conclusion and very open to factual debate.
Instead of aimlessly accumulating consumables, the rich invest in pliable trades, seeing opportunities in seemingly rotten places and making the best out of such circumstances.
Barely 56, we as Nigerians need to change our mentality on a lot of issues. We need to rise up to the task of building our nation, and this would not happen if we are stuck in a culture of consumerism.
#My own 2 pence.’
P.S: Let the comments and questions roll in people!
More stuff on #Lateral thinking next Thursday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOKITA

 EPISODE 3 ‘Oya sorry now, we’re almost there.’ Felix kept saying as he partially carried his dear friend.  She wouldn’t hear the last of this episode once it was over, that much he knew! ‘Awww…you don’t know how painful awww… this is’ ‘Sorry, sorry’ ; he kept saying So they eventually got to the ER and after pulling out her card, used ‘medical student connection’ to see the resident that was on call in Internal Medicine unit. ‘Hello dear’ , Dr. Brown said, looking keenly at the girl that was almost doubled over in pain ‘I think you should lie down on that couch’ ‘What exactly is the problem?’ ‘She just started complaining about her abdomen about half an hour ago’ ‘Oh’. ‘Can you point to where exactly the pain started?’ he asked ‘Here’ . Linda pointed to the area around her umbilicus. ‘Have you had any episode of vomiting?’ ‘No sir’ Felix answered spontaneously. ‘You must be her boyfriend, right?’ Dr.Brown asked, with a mischievious grin ...

DOKITA

EPISODE 5 ‘So, really, whose patient is she?’ Doctor Afuarida asked with impatience written all over his face Bola indicated, her body language reeking of timidity, ‘Sir, she was supposed to be my patient, but I haven’t been able to clerk her’ ‘Oh, really? She was supposed to be?’ ‘Do you even have any other patient on the ward?’ ‘Ehm…no sir. But my other patient has just been discharged’ ‘Please, leave my ward round. You are obviously unprepared to truly learn the art of medicine.’ She knew better than to plead and therefore, walked out with the little dignity she still had left. He continued lecturing the rest of the students ‘You know, whatever you do now will speak later in life and especially in your medical career. If you want to be a good doctor, it definitely begins from now- taking responsibility’ Dr.Amao, please give me a summary on this patient ’22 year old female, had appendectomy done. 1 st day post-op. Mild pain at op-site. Currently on IV Met...

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic...