Skip to main content

WOLE SOYINKA’S QUOTES

Image result for wole soyinka picture
1.    ‘Books and all forms of writing are terror to those who wish to suppress the truth.’
2.   ‘The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism.’
3.   ‘The hand that dips into the bottom of the pot will eat the biggest snail.’
4.  ‘Don’t take shadows too seriously, reality is our only safety; continue to reject illusions.’
5.   ‘You are not a complete human being if you are not educated, schooled or cultured.’
6.   ‘Nigeria is in war and only competence can solve the problem, not prayers.’
7.  ‘Bluff is no substitute for bullets.’
8.   ‘I don’t know any other way to live but to wake up everyday armed with my convictions, not yielding them to  the threat of danger and to the power and force of people who might despise me.’
9.   ‘But the ultimate lesson is just sit down and write. That’s all.’
10.                   ‘My horizon on humanity is enlarged by reading the writers of poems, seeing a painting, listening to some music, some opera, which has nothing at all to do with a volatile human condition or struggle or whatever. It enriches me as a human being.’
11.                   ‘And I believe that the best learning process of any kind of craft is just to look at the work of others.’
12.                   ‘Human life has meaning only to that degree and as long as it is lived in the service of humanity.’
13.                   ‘I’m not sure I’m trying to communicate a message. I’m just trying to be part of the movement away from the unacceptable present.’
14.                  ‘A tiger does not shout its tigritude, it acts.’
15.                   ‘I take friendship very seriously.’
16.                  ‘No human is completely fearless.’
17.                  ‘The phenomenon of creativity, we know, is closely related to the ability to yoke together separate, and even seemingly incompatible matrices.’
18.                   ‘I consider the process of gestation just as important as when you’re actually sitting down putting words to paper.’
19.                   ‘You cannot live a normal existence if you haven’t taken care of a problem that affects your life and affects the lives of others, values that you hold which in fact, define your very existence.’
20.                  ‘Art is solace; art is vision, and when I pick up a literary work, I am a consumer of literature for its own sake.’
21.                   ‘Looking at faces of people, one gets the feeling there’s a lot of work to be done.’
22.                  ‘I don’t really consider myself a novelist, it just came purely by accident.’
23.                  ‘Writers and intellectuals have a duty to humanity. It is to insist that the human entity remains the primary asset in overall development; thus, it must be safeguarded.’
24.                 ‘An idyllic period of my existence was when I had a den attached to my home…a writing den, and no one had access to that unless they had their own special visa, applied for weeks in advance.’

25.                  ‘One has to confront history honestly.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp