Skip to main content

MEDICAL POETRY: CERVICALLY


CERVICALLY
Image result for cervical cancer awareness
Hi guys!
As some of us know, January is cervical cancer awareness month.

Women, all over the world, are encouraged to get their pap smears done, if they are over 18years of age and sexually active.

This, is very important, as progression of the disease can be halted by early detection of the neoplastic process.

So, I got a doctor-writer friend to write a beautiful poem on cervical cancer.

Trust me, you’d enjoy it!

CERVICALLY- by OLADIPO ABIMBOLA

The sins of CIN
Spineless technology is rendered clueless,
Invasive, Pervasive, Elusive
The worst nightmare of the devil, Lucifer’s mother
With costly despair and women, murdered


Magnifies until she putrefies,
Aceto-acetic assertive,
Lugol iodine’s fugitive,
Noble women have bled to death,
Evil mistresses have been consumed by earth


Oh the wonder of that sinister cervix
You are such a gradually progressive devil
Eating up birth canals at varying levels
Biting up health and publishing in journals
Leave us with a cure and be not fatal
Ah! Ah! Happy you are beneath me,
Lol! That’s because of this divine power
But the scientist kills you so early,
And the spiritist keeps you so gory
With my heavy love for life
And flimsy hate for pain
Though Papanicolau had his fair share of your torment
Mine is a doubtless destruction of your intent


 Image result for cervical cancer awareness

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOKITA

 EPISODE 3 ‘Oya sorry now, we’re almost there.’ Felix kept saying as he partially carried his dear friend.  She wouldn’t hear the last of this episode once it was over, that much he knew! ‘Awww…you don’t know how painful awww… this is’ ‘Sorry, sorry’ ; he kept saying So they eventually got to the ER and after pulling out her card, used ‘medical student connection’ to see the resident that was on call in Internal Medicine unit. ‘Hello dear’ , Dr. Brown said, looking keenly at the girl that was almost doubled over in pain ‘I think you should lie down on that couch’ ‘What exactly is the problem?’ ‘She just started complaining about her abdomen about half an hour ago’ ‘Oh’. ‘Can you point to where exactly the pain started?’ he asked ‘Here’ . Linda pointed to the area around her umbilicus. ‘Have you had any episode of vomiting?’ ‘No sir’ Felix answered spontaneously. ‘You must be her boyfriend, right?’ Dr.Brown asked, with a mischievious grin ...

DOKITA

EPISODE 5 ‘So, really, whose patient is she?’ Doctor Afuarida asked with impatience written all over his face Bola indicated, her body language reeking of timidity, ‘Sir, she was supposed to be my patient, but I haven’t been able to clerk her’ ‘Oh, really? She was supposed to be?’ ‘Do you even have any other patient on the ward?’ ‘Ehm…no sir. But my other patient has just been discharged’ ‘Please, leave my ward round. You are obviously unprepared to truly learn the art of medicine.’ She knew better than to plead and therefore, walked out with the little dignity she still had left. He continued lecturing the rest of the students ‘You know, whatever you do now will speak later in life and especially in your medical career. If you want to be a good doctor, it definitely begins from now- taking responsibility’ Dr.Amao, please give me a summary on this patient ’22 year old female, had appendectomy done. 1 st day post-op. Mild pain at op-site. Currently on IV Met...

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic...