Skip to main content

DOKITA-2


EPISODE 4

A man walks, into the emergency room one sunny Sunday afternoon.

He speaks, to one of the nurses

‘Please, can I see a doctor?’

The nurse looks up briefly from her charting, and after giving him one all-over look, she decides that this man, isn’t critical.

Do you have a file in this hospital?

He looks at her, desperation on his face
‘…what? Oh no, I don’t. This is my first time here, but I need to see a doctor.’

He pauses as he tries to read the look on her face; then says: ‘Its urgent’

The sister sighs.

‘Here, I get to decide what is urgent.’

‘Please go over to that section by your right and get a file. The doctor has to write in a case note.’

‘I’m telling you…’ his voice trailed into the background as the nurse continues her charting.

She is about to clock out, and isn’t about to let this man be a stumbling block.

No way.
*****************************************************************
There was pandemonium.

In his own pool of blood, a man lay on the floor in the male restroom, unconscious.

Another male patient had gone to the restroom, only to find red fluid seeping out from beneath the door to the farthest corner on the right.

On closer inspection, he found it to be blood.

Blood! In a hospital’s restroom?

In the space of a few minutes, feet were pounding in and out of the rest room and soon, the man was out.

It was Mr. I-want-to-see-a-doctor.

Raymond, of course, was the doctor in question.

As the patient was delivered to him, he began to set up intravenous access and figure out a way to resuscitate him.

That out of the way, Raymond doubles as a detective as he is accosted by the following questions:

-Who, is this man?

-How did he get into the rest-room?

-How did he even get into the emergency room, bleeding and no one knew?

As he examines the man, he notices that his shirt is soaked with blood.

Interesting fact, he notes.

He screens the patient, following which he examines the abdomen.

Shock, utter shock.

The man’s abdomen had been incised multiply, and there were now blood clots over the scarred areas.

Once again, who was this man?
How did he manage to walk into the emergency room?

No identification card.

Raymond continues to treat, as he places a call across to a senior doctor.

Suddenly, his eyes latch on a bulge in Mr. Mystery’s trouser pants.

He palpates the right pocket of the trousers and to his utter dismay, Mr. Mystery’s identity is closer to being revealed.

He has a gun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WANNABE INTERN

Week 2 Message to the Pre-Intern: don’t lose hope! Week 2, for me, was 2 months post-induction. This was when the wait began to sink in. You mean I’ve been home for two whole months? By now, I was literally chewing on my fingernails. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t scared of getting a space, but I certainly wasn’t confident about any place anymore. That is when I began to write this book. Today is the 12th of September and I sit at the dining table in my parents’ house, typing at 11:27pm (because well, I have an editing job to finish up, but mostly because I don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow morning). If I don’t want to, I don’t even have to take a bath tomorrow morning because well, I can stay indoors all day! (I most likely will stay indoors, except for those few minutes when I step out to buy hot akara for my akamu). I am spent. You know, I have applied to a couple of places now. Let me start with the first: LS Health Service Commission At the State Health servic

CLINICALLY: CLERKING AND CLECKING

A typical medical practitioner knows all about this process of clerking, this is basically the first thing he does when attending to a patient i.e. he clerks. Clinically, clerking involves: 1.       History Taking- involves taking demographic data, noting the main presenting problems, past medical history, history of main presenting complaint, family history, occupational history, drug history, alcohol history e.t.c. Basically, it helps in determination of symptoms. 2.       Physical Examination- is useful in the elicitation of signs of the disease in question. 3.       Provisional and differential diagnosis: the clinical history and physical examination conducted will help the clinician arrive at provisional diagnosis, from which he arrives at a differential diagnosis. 4.       Management Plan- involves investigative procedures (e.g. haematological investigations) as well as a treatment plan for the diagnosed disease. How about clecking? Clecking is not a word that’s us
ALL THESE ENDLESS STUDYING !… On exams and fear All these comparing and measuring ourselves by ourselves! Its so wrong and self-limiting. All these numerous, bulky, endless exams in medical school can get even the strongest of us  jittery! However, the most successful person isn’t the one whose prime goal is a 100% on the scoresheet but those with the excellent mentality that to be a good doctor, you have to have the requisite knowledge. Just to remind us of our prime focus,  which is true excellence that comes, not from passing an exam from excelling superbly at what you do:  “Medicine is more than the application of scientific facts to treat people. If your highest goal is to simply pass the exams, you may still succeed but the journey will be fraught with much anguish. However, if you remember that someday, you can relieve the suffering of one individual or save just a person’s life from what you’d learn each day as you study, all your efforts will take a new meaning and purp